The Blick Group launched its first podcast format back in late 2017, making it the first private media group in Switzerland to back audio formats as a new platform. From explanatory podcasts to talk shows, we have already tested various formats and continue to develop new ideas and pop-up podcasts. The Blick Group is one of the largest private non-radio players in the Swiss podcast market.
Podcasts command users’ attention
While traditional radio programming is generally based on a fixed schedule and users consume the content more or less passively, podcasts work differently. Users have to proactively select the content – in other words, with podcasts, it is a specific interest in certain topics or contributions that leads to use.
Source: SRF audio study 2019, sample: respondents who listen to podcasts weekly (n=124)
Podcast usage in German-speaking Switzerland
- Approximately a quarter of the population of German-speaking Switzerland listens to podcasts at least once a month
- 12% of the German-speaking population of Switzerland are weekly podcast listeners
- In the younger target group, every fifth person listens to podcasts weekly
- Usage in the younger target groups is twice as high as in the over-45 age category
Source: SRF audio study 2019, sample: all respondents (n=1,002)
- The podcast platform market is dominated by two providers: Spotify & Apple
In particular, the music streaming provider Spotify, which is especially popular among younger podcast listeners, has recently increased its focus on podcasts
- Older people in German-speaking Switzerland, on the other hand, tend to rely on direct access via the websites of providers such as SRF, Blick or NZZ
- Other platforms, such as Deezer and Google Podcasts, have so far been unable to make much impact in German-speaking Switzerland
Reasons for podcast usage
The most significant motives for use are: interest in specific topics, information, entertainment, the ability to listen when and where you like, switching off/relaxation and education.
93% of podcast listeners accept advertising if it means the service remains free**
75.2% consciously listen to advertising in podcasts, rather than fast-forwarding through it**
More than 30% of podcast listeners have taken action based on podcast advertising**
**Source: Podstars podcast survey 2018, sample: all respondents (n=1,002)
Find out more about our current formats. We are happy to discuss the individual advertising options for our podcasts.